Saturday 29 March 2014



Veteran actress Savita Prabhune, currently seen in daily soaps 'Javai Vikat Ghene Aahe' and 'Pavitra Rishta' on Marathi and Hindi television channels respectively, tells us how different the two mediums are. Excerpts of the interview.

You have enjoyed visibility on both Marathi as well as Hindi TV for years now. How easy has it been to balance the two?

As an artiste I have no language or medium based reservations and care only about the script and my role. Having said that, I choose my roles and dates very carefully as I don't like running from one set to the other. When I started working for 'Pavitra Rishta', it took up most of my time and I couldn't take up other projects. But after the show took a leap and new characters were introduced, I got breathing space and was able to accommodate Marathi shows again.

Marathi actresses are getting popular in Hindi television in roles of mothers. What do you think is working in their favour?

Most of us come from a theatre background and Marathi actors command a lot of respect in the industry for their talent and hard work. It is a positive sign that Marathi actresses are so popular on national television and are getting meaty roles.

What is your opinion about the current scenario of Marathi television?

I don't really get time to follow much of Marathi television but the channel with which I am associated currently has shows dealing with a variety of subjects. 'Javai Vikat Ghene Aahe' deals with the concept of a mother looking for a ghar jamai (stay at home son-in-law). This concept is quite different.

How different are the Marathi and Hindi television industries?

The biggest difference between the two lies in the selection of the show's subject matter. Both the mediums have their own set of audiences and thus select their subject matter accordingly. Marathi television by far has experimented more with a variety of subjects and has also enjoyed more audience acceptance.

Which medium are you more comfortable working in?

I feel at home while working in the Marathi language as I enjoy a better comfort level, be it for television or films.

Having replaced quite a few actors in different shows, what is your opinion on the concept of replacements in daily soaps?

Ever since daily soaps came into being the concept of replacements have become a part and parcel of them. For the audience, it is very confusing initially but they gradually get used to it. As an artiste there is the constant fear and doubt of whether the audiences are going to accept the replaced character.

Having worked in this industry for years together, do you think Marathi cinema is coming of age?

Marathi audiences have always been very selective in their choice of films and plays. There was a phase in Marathi cinema a while ago when filmmakers were absolutely not experimenting. But I recently saw 'Fandry' and was happy that different subjects are being explored currently. Also such new subjects and innovative promotional strategies are translating into the box office collections too.

You have worked in Hindi films such as Tere Naam, Fiza and Filhaal and have also been active in the theatre circuit. Why then have you, of late, stayed away from both?

My play 'Chaar Divas Premache' completed 1000 shows and it was right after it got wrapped up that 'Pavitra Rishta' started. 'Pavitra Rishta' kept me so busy that I couldn't travel outside Mumbai for shoots and hence had to turn down many offers. But I have recently completed shooting for Marathi film 'Amhi Bolato Marathi' and am open to more such projects in different languages. Although I am not very keen on theatre projects at the moment as they require a lot of time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!